Application Support for Resort Data Processing
|(2022+): Requires Actian Zen v14 or higher
|Stephen White: Stephen@resortdata.com
Important Note from Resort Data:
For the current software release, Resort Data now requires Actian Zen v14 or higher (including Actian Zen v15) for all on-premise database environments. This requirement allows Resort Data to use some of the newer functionality available within the newer engines to provide better performance and scalability.
Current users of Actian Zen v14 or v15 should consider applying the latest patches for the best results.
If you are using an older version of Actian PSQL v13 or older, you should make plans to upgrade to a newer release as soon as possible.
Upgrade discounts to Actian Zen v14 and Zen v15 may be available for a limited time, so consider doing this early, if you can!
QUICK LINKS FOR ACTIAN ZEN v15 USERS:
- Download Zen v15: This link allows you to download a 30-day evaluation license and patches for the Zen v15 database engine. Smaller sites (under 5 concurrent users) want the Workgroup Engine. Larger sites (6+ users) should download the Enterprise Server Engine instead.
- Zen v15 Pricing Page: This link provides current pricing for Zen v15.
QUICK LINKS FOR ACTIAN ZEN v14 USERS:
- Download Zen v14: This link allows you to download a 30-day evaluation license and patches for the Zen v14 database engine. Smaller sites (under 5 concurrent users) want the Workgroup Engine. Larger sites (6+ users) should download the Enterprise Server Engine instead.
- Zen v14 Pricing Page: This link provides current pricing for Zen v14.
QUICK LINKS FOR ACTIAN PSQL v13 USERS:
- Get Upgrade Pricing to Zen v15: This page shows you which discounted Upgrade SKUs are still available. These upgrades were discontinued by Actian, so they are availale while supplies last only.
The Resort Data application uses the Actian Zen database engine to provide world-class performance and flexibility to their application development efforts. At this time, Resort Data is not selling this software directly, and they are referring users to resellers such as Goldstar Software to obtain the correct licenses. We have worked extensively with RDP over the years and are in an excellent position to help you get your software installed and running quickly.
Installation of the Actian database is easy -- download the installer, follow the prompts, then reboot. (If you are upgrading an existing environment, you would uninstall the old components and reboot before installing the new ones.) This process is fairly easy and well-documented on our web site, so you can do it yourself or have your tech guy (or gal) handle it for you. You can even start with the 30-day trial download available on the Actian web site (see links above) that can be converted to a full license.
If you have a small site with fewer than 5 concurrent users, then the Workgroup Engine (WGE) is for you. You need a license for the number of concurrent users, at approximately $100 per user. The database engine and the license goes onto the SERVER, or the computer on which your database resides. All other computers get the Zen Client installed to them.
If you need more than 5 concurrent users now or in the near future, or if you want the increased performance and security of the full-blown, 64-bit, Server Engine, then you should look at a Server Engine instead. There are two types of Server Engines to consider:
- Zen Enterprise Server is licensed by concurrent user (with unlimited data). License counts are available starting at 6, 10, 20, 35, and higher (up to 500), and User Count Increase (UCI) licenses can be used to add users at a later time.
- Zen Cloud Server is licensed by data size (with unlimited users). License "sizes" are 20GB, 100GB, 200GB, and true UNLIMITED. Data Size Increases are also available in 10GB packs to increase the data size, too. If you are using a web front end that does not allow for the adequate tracking of user counts, then you should be on the Cloud Server Edition.
The Server Engine requires the use of a Windows or Linux database/file server for best operation, but smaller systems can also work with Windows workstation-class OS (Windows 10/11) on the server computer, as long as you don't exceed the Microsoft licensing limitations on these operating systems (20 extenal connections for Windows Pro).
For pricing, please refer to our price list for Actian Zen v15, which also has a Product Selector tool (look for the BIG button) that can help you figure out exactly what you need, or call/Email us to request an exact quote!
Older versions of Resort Data worked on older versions of Pervasive, including the (very old) Btrieve 6.15, Pervasive.SQL 2000i, Pervasive.SQL V8, Pervasive PSQL v9, Pervasive PSQL Summit v10, Pervasive PSQL v11, Actian PSQL v12, and Actian PSQL v13. These old engines are no longer supported by Actian Corporation (formerly Pervasive Software), and RDP has also stopped supporting these releases for their products as well. If you have an older engine version (i.e. v13 or older), upgrading to Actian Zen v14 or upgrading to Actian Zen v15 is required at this time.
Actian Zen v14 was released in 2019 and is a paid upgrade from older versions. Zen v14 is the best platform if all of your workstations are Windows 7 or newer, and v14.10 and above are fully supported by RDP at this time. Please note that Zen v14 software is NOT supported on Windows Vista or older, so sites with older computers may need to upgrade their operating systems first.
Actian Zen v15 was released in 2021 and is a paid upgrade from older versions. Zen v15 is the best platform if all of your workstations are Windows 10 or newer, and v15.10 and above are fully supported by RDP at this time. Please note that Zen v15 software is NOT formally supported on Windows 7 or older, so sites with older computers may need to upgrade their operating systems first.
|Support Matrix (as of 2023):
Server - Windows
Server - Linux
|Pervasive PSQL v11
|Actian PSQL v12
|Actian PSQL v13
|Actian Zen v14
|Actian Zen v15
*Items with a NO are not supported by the application vendor at this time. Items with YES are supported. Items with R are Recommended, and NR are NOT recommended, but will work. Items with no entry are unknown at this time.
There are a few points of interest:
- Installation Tip: The Resort Data application has not been tested with the Client Cache Engine feature of Actian Zen. This feature is disabled by default on the server, but you may wish to disable the feature on each workstation by following these steps from each computer:
- Start the Zen Control Center (Start/Run/ZenCC.EXE)
- On the Welcome screen, click on the option "Configure Microkernel Router".
- Click on the heading (on the left) for "Performance Tuning".
- On the right side of the window, Uncheck "Use Cache Engine" to disable the CCE.
- Click OK or APPLY, exit the ZenCC, and restart your computer to ensure that the changes take effect.
- Installation Tip: At this time, the Resort Data application works best with the File Close Delay feature disabled. Although this promises to improve performance for some applications, the locking of the files that occurs is sometimes disruptive. When installing your Zen v15 database engine, go to the engine configuration in the Performance Tuning group and set File Close Delay to 0.
- Performance Tip: If the Workgroup Engine is used, the machine with the data files physically on it (also called the peer server) should be designated as the permanent gateway using the Gateway Locator Utility, which will provide the best performance and stability. See our white paper on this topic for more information, or click HERE for the instructional video!
- Performance Tip: Periodically rebuilding or defragmenting your database files may provide performance gains. See our white
paper on this topic for more information.
- Status Code 161 -- License Is Not Applied: If you are getting a Status 161 (Licensing Error) after installing the engine, then your database license may not be properly applied. On the database server, start the Zen License Administrator (which you'll find in the Start Menu) and check the license count showing on this screen. If you do not see a permanent license with the correct user count, then you will need to apply your license. See your invoice or packing slip for your Registration Keycode, and enter this string into the boxes provided, then click "Add License". You should then see the proper license count.
- Status Code 161 -- Wrong Version Is Installed: In some cases, we see sites get Status 161 after properly installing a license. On the database server, start the Zen License Administrator (which you'll find in the Start Menu) and check the license count showing on this screen. The the left column shows a number (such as "625") instead of a product name, then the new software license was applied, but the software was never updated! You will need to uninstall the old version and install the purchased version to correct this situation.
If you need help with installing or patching your database engine, Goldstar Software also provides update services via the Internet for a fixed fee. See our Installation Services page for more details.
If you are a software vendor and would like to add, remove, or modify your information on these pages, we'll be happy to oblige. Simply contact us directly!