Actian PSQL Vx Server 12 Product Information
Actian PSQL Vx Server 12 was released on December 17, 2014. It is a different "edition" of PSQL v12 which differs in the licensing method, but otherwise contains the same exact core database engine as the PSQL v12 product. For more information on the new features and changes in this engine over older versions (i.e. v11, etc.), please refer to the Actian PSQL v12 Production Information page.
In short, the PSQL Vx Server 12 release has three important differences over PSQL v12:
- It uses a "capacity-based" licensing, tracking data in use ONLY, instead of users (unique network addresses) or sessions (number of database connections).
- The PSQL Vx Server 12 license agreement allows for use in a hosted or SaaS environment, which is not allowed by the PSQL v12 EULA.
- The PSQL Vx Server 12 license agreement allows for use from an unlimited number of users from the public Internet or other middle-tier aggregation services, including so-called "thin client" solutions.
This licensing model is completely different from the "classic" edition of PSQLv12. We strongly recommend that you take a few minutes right now to read our License Primer for PSQL Vx to understand these changes.
PSQL Vx Server 12 is sold by "capacity", with these primary options:
- Small: Up to 5GB of data
- Medium: Up to 20GB of data
- Large: Up to 50GB of data
- Unlimited: Unlimited data size
If you have an intermediate data size (such as 30GB), then you can either purchase the next higher size, or you can use Data Size Increase licenses to increase the allowable data size in your environment, which are also available in several capacities, including 1GB, 5GB, 10GB, or 50GB. You can also obtain temporary capacity increases provide for a bump in capacity for a short period of time (60 days). This can be useful for increasing the system for the holiday rush or tax season, without needing to purchase a full license for permanent use.
If you are unsure of the data size needed for your environment, please contact your application developer.
You can download a 30-day TRIAL from Actian's PSQL Vx Server 12 Web Site now.
Important Note: Windows XP/2003 is no longer officially supported in this release! You must have Windows Vista/2008 or newer. For minimum hardware requirements, check the Actian PSQL Vx/v12/v11 Hardware Requirements page for more details.
We expect application vendors to be announcing support for Actian PSQL Vx Server 12 edition shortly. If you are not sure, check our Application Support pages or contact your application vendor directly.
Pricing can be found on our Actian PSQL Vx Server 12 price list, or you can BUY IT NOW from our on-line store.
If you want to try it out before you buy it (a really good idea!), you can get a downloadable trial license of PSQL Vx Server 12 from Actian's Web Site.
[Expand Entire Page... ]
[Collapse Entire Page... ]
[+] Actian PSQL Vx Server v12.10 (SP1)...
Released in June 2016 (and re-released in July 2016), the SP1 (Service Pack 1) product build offers a some important new features to users of PSQLv12. This release includes the following changes:
- Automatic Defragmentation: Expanding on the PSQL v12 Online Database Defragmenter, this new feature allows you to configure your system to automatically defragment your larger files every day, as they get more and more fragmented.
- Disk Space Monitoring: If the ODD detects that disk space is running low, it will now cancel defragmentation automatically.
- Unicode Support: Additional support for NCHAR fields in the PCC, as well as come new collation capabilities have been added for international developers.
- SDK Updates: Updates were released for the ADO.NET, JDBC, JCL, and PDAC drivers.
This is a free patch upgrade to previous versions of PSQL Vx 12. Users of PSQLv11 and earlier can purchase a paid upgrade at a discount.
If you are running the v12.00 code (FCS), then we strongly recommend upgrading to the latest patches, if possible.
Download the PSQL v12.10 Install Media. (Login Required)
[+] Actian PSQL Vx Server 12 (FCS)...
Released on December 17, 2014, the FCS (First Customer Ship) product build offers the same features as PSQLv12, but with a capacity-based licensing model.
This is a paid upgrade to previous versions and other product editions (PSQLv12 and earlier).
[+] Frequently Asked Questions About Actian PSQL Vx Server 12...
Q: Does this version succeed Actian PSQL v12?
A: No. Actian PSQL Vx Server 12 is a different "edition", based on the same PSQLv12 code base. If your application supports PSQLv12 today, then it should work on PSQL Vx Server 12 as well. Both products will be sold and supported for the foreseeable future.
Q: My vendor doesn't support Actian PSQL Vx Server 12 yet. What can I do?
A: If your vendor supports PSQLv12, then PSQL Vx Server 12 should be no different. You can still purchase Actian PSQL v12 or even Actian PSQL v11 if needed.
Q: Where is the Workgroup Engine for PSQL Vx Server 12?
A: PSQL Vx Server 12 is a server-only solution. If you have only a few users and don't need the special features of the server engines, you may wish to purchase a PSQLv12 Workgroup Engine instead.
Q: Does Actian have an official PSQL Vx FAQ or README File?
A: Yes. Go to Actian's web page for PSQL Vx or read the official FAQ document now.
Q: What hypervisors are supported for Actian PSQL Vx Server 12?
A: Go to Actian's site for the official list of supported hypervisors.
[Expand Entire Page... ]
[Collapse Entire Page... ]
If you have additional questions about the product, please contact us!